• الوقت
  • عرض
إلغاء تحديد الكل
مشاركات جديدة

• Words that are often confused

Words that are often confused

""part one'"'
    accede, exceed
    Accede means to agree, to allow; exceed means to go beyond, to surpass, as in
    “Drivers who exceed the speed limit are asking for hefty fines.”

accept, except
    Not commonly seen even from unpublished writers, who are probably familiar with the difference because they’re all waiting for an acceptance!
    “We accept your invitation to your party, except for Bill, who will be away on that day.”
    However, I recently saw (on a publisher’s web site!) the statement, “ We are excepting submissions … ” Can you believe it?

adapt, adept, adopt
    Adapt means to adjust, adept means skilled and adopt means to take as your own:
    “Some people cannot adapt to new surroundings.”
    “He is very adept at dodging awkward questions.”
    “He tends to adopt the attitudes of those around him.”

adverse, averse
    Adverse means inauspicious, hostile; averse means disinclined, repelled.
    “I’m very much averse to making a long, arduous journey under such adverse weather conditions.”

advice, advise
    Advice is the noun and advise the verb.
    “His advice was that we should advise everybody to either stay away or be extremely careful.”

affect, effect
    Affect is a verb; effect is more usually a noun. When used as a verb it means to achieve, fulfil, realise.
    “Bad weather will affect the quality of the fruit.”
    “The effect of bad weather is a reduction in fruit quality.”
    I can’t think of any sentence using effect as a verb where one of the other three mentioned above wouldn’t be a much better choice, but perhaps a politician might say, “To effect our goal of saving 10%…”

aloud, allowed
    Aloud means out loud, speaking so that someone else can hear you; allowed means permitted.

already, all ready
    Already means by this time; all ready means prepared.
    “Are you already packed?”
    “Yes, I’m all ready to leave.”

altogether, all together
    Altogether means wholly; all together means everybody in a group:
    “It’s altogether too bad that you can’t come.”
    “All together, now: ‘Good morning, Sir!’”

all right, alright
    All right is the correct form; alright is grammatically incorrect.

allude, elude
    Allude means to refer to; elude means to dodge or escape.

allusion, illusion
    Allusion is an indirect reference or hint; illusion means deception or mirage.

all ways, always
    All ways means by every way or method; always means all the time, forever.

annual, annul
    Annual means yearly; annul means to make void or invalid.

anyone, any one
    This is quite tricky. Anyone means anybody, any person at all; any one means any one person and is followed by “of”.
    “Does anyone else want to come?”
    “Any one of you is welcome to come along.”

appraise, apprise
    Appraise is to assess or estimate. Apprise is to inform or notify:
    “I will appraise the situation and immediately apprise everybody of my conclusions.”
    Please don’t make your character say or write anything like this, though—unless you want him to sound like a pompous twit!

ascent, assent
    Ascent is an upward movement; assent means agreement.

assistance, assistants
    Assistance means help or aid; assistants is the plural of assistant, one who gives help.

assure, ensure, insure
    Assure means to guarantee; ensure means to make sure; insure means to protect against loss or damage:
    “I assure you there’s no call for alarm.”
    “To ensure your crockery doesn’t get broken, wrap it all in bubble wrap.”
    “In case of breakage or loss, you should insure everything with a good insurance company.”

auger, augur
    Auger is a tool; augur means to predict.

baited, bated
    Baited usually refers to traps or snares. When the reference is to someone who is hardly daring to breathe, the correct word is always bated:
    “She watched with bated breath.”
    I’ve yet to read that someone “bated a trap” instead of baiting it, but there’s always a first time.

bare, bear
    Bare means naked; bear (apart from being a large animal) means to carry.

bazaar, bizarre
    Bazaar is an exhibition or fair; bizarre means weird, grotesque, alien.

berth, birth
    Berth is a place to sleep on a boat or ship; birth is the beginning (usually of life).

beside, besides
    Beside means by the side of; besides means in addition to.

biannual, biennial
    These two are really tricky! Biannual means happening twice a year; biennial means every two years.

blonde, blond
    Because these are borrowed from French there is a feminine and masculine form. Blonde is feminine and blond is masculine.

bore, boar, boor
    Bore as a noun is a boring or tiresome person, or something that you don’t like doing; boar is a male pig; boor is a vulgar person.

board, bored
    Board is a long sheet of wood, also a group of people as in “Board of Directors”, and as a verb means to go onto a ship, plane or other form of public transport; bored means not interested.

born, borne
    Born is always the beginning of life, borne means carried.
    “I was born in the middle of a particularly severe winter.”
    “The logs were borne down the river to the mill.”

bought, brought
    Bought is the past tense of buy, brought is the past tense of bring. So, I bought (paid for) a load of topsoil, and a truck driver brought (delivered) it to my home.

braise, braze
    Braise means to **** slowly in liquid (usually meat); braze most commonly means to solder with an alloy of copper and zinc.

brake, break
    Brake means to stop; break means to smash.

bridal, bridle
    Bridal has to do with brides and weddings; bridle as a noun means a halter or restraint; as a verb it means to restrain or to draw oneself up in anger.

by, buy, bye
    By is a preposition meaning next to; buy means purchase; bye means farewell or good-bye.

canvas, canvass
    Canvas is cloth or fabric; canvass means to seek votes, to survey, to sell door-to-door.

capital, capitol
    Capital means the seat of government; money invested; excellent, as in “What a capital idea!”. Capitol is the building where government meets, although in New Zealand that’s simply called The Beehive.

caught, court
    Caught is the past tense of catch. Court is a place where criminals are tried; a place where ball games are played; a royal household or residence. As a verb it means to curry favour, to strive for or seek; or (in relationship terms) to date someone of the opposite gender.

cereal, serial
    Cereal is something you might eat for breakfast, such as porridge. Serial is something in a series; something that continues one after another, as in a weekly instalment of chapters from a book.

censor, sensor
    Censor as a verb means to officially inspect and make deletions or changes (in books, letters, movies, etc.) usually because the deleted or changed material is regarded as offensive or harmful in some way, though movies these days are more likely to be given a rating instead; as a noun it refers to the official who does the censoring. Sensor is something that senses (for instance a burglar alarm has many sensors: for movement, body heat, etc.)

collaborate, corroborate
    Collaborate means to work with someone; corroborate means to establish the truth of something.

compliment, complement
    Compliment means praise or congratulate. You always pay someone a compliment, not a complement. Complement means to supplement, round out. Mustard complements ham, for instance, by “rounding out” the flavour.

continual, continuous
    Continual means something that happens frequently, with breaks between the occurrences. Continuous means something that happens without stopping!
    “Continual interruptions distract me from writing.”
    “The continuous noise of the motor mower distracts me from writing.”

co-operation, corporation
    Co-operation (usually spelt without the hyphen in US English) means working together; corporation is a business organisation.

رد: Words that are often confused

Thanks So Much Sister Very Nice Topic
    لا إله إلا الله وحده لا شريك له
    سبحان الله و بحمده سبحان الله العظيم
    ابطال فلسطين ( الاسطورة يحيى عياش )

تعليق

يعمل...
    X